Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Laughter IS the Best Medicine

During the last few weeks, I frequently asked my friend Katie to tell me jokes.  She is the queen of bad jokes - and good ones.  For instance, "A white horse fell in a mud puddle."  While for some, that would not constitute as  high humor, it was just what I needed.  She never tired of being put on the spot as I would often just demand "tell me a joke".

I usually lie in bed thinking about the day and analyzing what coping skills worked and what didn't.  The one that never fails is humor and sarcasm.  I am an incredibly sarcastic person by nature and thankfully, all my friends are too.  They get me - gallows humor, political, satire, sarcasm - all of it.  I think that Tina Fey and I would be bff's if she would just return my phone calls.  Amy Poehler and Jim Gaffigan would also be great friends of mine....if they would just return the phone calls.  I haven't hit stalker status yet but if I don't get some response soon, I may have to resort to mass mailings.

I cannot imagine going through everything I do without a sense of humor.  My friend's jokes and stories are always enough to break up the thoughts running through my head or give me a diversion to the physical pain and allow me to put everything on the back burner for a few hours until I can gather strength to handle it again.  I wish that I could just pop out with sarcastic observations in my blog and have you all laughing out loud and spraying your screens with whatever liquid you are ingesting but I am more of an "observational sarcasm" kind of gal.  My children are already honing their sarcastic skills which will either make the teenage years super fun or will turn them into a massive shamble.

While reading jokes is never as good as hearing them (in my opinion) I am going to share my favorite joke that Katie told me from our friend Jim:

An Irish lad comes to America and after going through customs, looks for an Irish bar.  He goes in, sits at the bar and orders 3 guinness beers at once.  He lines them up and drinks them one at a time.  The bartender watches this curiously but doesn't comment.  The next week, the Irish lad is back and orders 3 beers at once. He lines them up and drinks them one at a time.  Again, the bartender watches but doesn't comment.  This goes on for weeks and finally the bartender asks the lad why he orders 3 beers at once.  The lad replies, "When I left Ireland I left behind two brothers.  Every week we would get together and have a beer.  I am continuing the tradition here in their honor."  So, the bartender and the lad fall into this ritual easily.  One day, the lad says "two beers please".  The bartender is saddened thinking that one of the lad's brothers has died.  He decides to offer his condolences. "I am so sorry about your brother."  "My brother!  What do you mean?" "Well, you ordered two beers so I assumed that something had happened to one of your brothers."  "No, I gave up drinking for Lent."

May you find the distraction you need to face your day.  For me, Phil Hartman will always be one of my favorite distractions.  May you enjoy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment