Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Coming Out

Coming out was the best thing I ever did.  No, I am not talking about my sexuality - that is another blog post entirely.  I have spent 6 years trying to be "normal" and cover my illness.  I downplayed surgeries, massive pain and using a cane.  I stayed home when the pain was too much or when I could barely walk so that others wouldn't ask me questions.  All I wanted was to be "normal".  Most of my time away from home wasn't spent at work or kids activities but at the hospital and doctor's appointments trying to find relief.  I did everything they asked.  I tried every surgery, every medication, every treatment and managed in a small town of 2,500 to keep most of this under wraps.  What I didn't realize was that by attempting to be normal, I was killing myself.  Not literally but emotionally.  It is scientifically proven that those who have a strong support system do better.  I knew that and thought I had that but I was fooling myself while trying to fool everyone else.

Last spring, I spoke to a friend's graduate class on chronic illness and the importance of community outreach programs for affected people and the current lack of community programs.  Little did I know that was the start of my coming out.  During budget cuts that were announced last May I got involved in a fundraiser to keep a science enrichment program at my children's school.  I met some great women and men and I began to build trust with them.  Due to my involvement with the science fundraiser,  I joined the PTA as the fundraising chair.  I was still passing as "normal" but taking baby steps towards coming out. That was step 2.

After 4 failed back surgeries last fall I had decided on my own that I was done with invasive procedures as they were not helping and had actually made things worse.  That was step 3 - I wasn't out yet but was getting close.  Things radically sped up in January of this year.  My pain was out of control and no medical interventions were helping.  I went from volunteering and attending school events to being in bed daily.  Finally my doctor made the difficult decision to end the ER/hospitalization/medication roller coaster and say enough.  No more.  It isn't working.  That was my breaking point.  I had to reach out.   I took a huge step of faith in the relationships that I had cultivated in the last year and put out my plea "I can't cook, clean, shower, feed the dog, or take care of my family. I need help".  And I got it.  An abundance of love from people that I never expected.  I began reiki and have been amazed by the relief it has given me in short bursts.  I came out.  I shared my story.  I started a blog.  I decided that the knowledge I had was powerful and I was going to use it.
Since I shed the skin of pretense and allowed people to see me as I am - unshowered, in pain, happy, sad, grumpy, I have been given a gift.  I feel as though an enormous weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I feel better.  Allowing people to care for me and to love me literally has reduced my pain.  (yes, I still feel like a mac truck hit me but it wasn't going 75 this time - just 40)  People do amazing things everyday while in pain and I have proven that for years.  However, with the support of my friends and family, I believe I am going to do some amazing things this year.  My future is so bright I gotta wear shades.

4 comments:

  1. *squish-hugs* I know it's hard asking for help, but I'm so glad you did. Most everyone I know would help their friends in a heartbeat, but so often we don't know when or how to help and need to be asked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. poultrygeist said it all. It is extremely difficult knowing that you are in pain and not know what to do to help. It sucks helplessly watching someone dear to you suffer.

    For the past several years I hid from my friends and family because of my silent illness. That just made me sicker and the guilt and shame was crippling. Once I started to reach out and people reached back I have improved immensely. You were one of those who reached out to me and it was/is a gift I will always cherish. Now I realize that I wasn't just feeling guilt and shame, but I didn't know how anyone could help me. Once I shared my story wonderful people started coming into my life and helping in ways I never imagined.

    When you ask for help it makes ME feel good to know what I can do. You give so much to the people in your life and to people you don't even know. The more we know about what you go through each day the more we can think of ways to help.

    I hope others who are silently suffering will be inspired to reach out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for reaching back when I needed you.
    Skippy - I hope that the blog inspires other to come out, reach out, get out and know they are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you Tamara. I remember a time when I was profoundly depressed. I just couldn't believe that I had been hospitalized for Bipolar disorder 18 years after my last hospitalization. I thought mental illness was behind and the truth really laid me low.

    I started using the computer at peer-run day program, and I just couldn't keep a smile on my face like I'd usually had been able to do. When I was accepted anyway, it was a huge relief. There is nothing more liberating than to be given permission be who you are and where you're at.

    Tamara, you are the sickest person I know. You are also the strongest and most resilient person I know. I love you dearly and pray for better times ahead.

    ReplyDelete