Friday, February 25, 2011

Learning to stab yourself

One of the challenges that I have had to face is learning to give myself shots.  If they were of the tequila variety, I would be queen of shots and would have won an award by now.  Unfortunately, this variety requires a needle.  A long needle that goes right into the muscle.  It isn't that I mind getting the shots or watching the needle enter my skin, it is the moment right before it breaks the skin that I can't handle.  Knowing it will hurt and then burn (ketorolac burns like a #@%!).

I have never been squeemish about blood, guts, wounds, stitches - I love it.  The gorier the better.  Give me an autopsy show or a surgery to watch and I am in heaven.  I would have loved to have watched the surgeries I have had on myself (my neurosurgeon in Madison wouldn't let me tape it - I asked).  It is that moment before the needle enters that I keep getting stuck on.

I could give a shot to anyone and I have no hesitation in the second before it breaks their skin.  Yet on myself - I become stuck.  Frozen with the syringe in hand, unable to pop it into the skin and inject the medicine.

It is quite ridiculous when you think about it.  Most people faint because of blood or fear of pain.  Those things don't stop me - the idea of the initial entering if the skin - hearing that little pop (you must be quiet and in a quiet room to hear it) just freezes me in my tracks.

SO, if you have any suggestions on how to get over that hurdle, let me know.  If you need me to give you a shot, let me know.  If you have any great videos of surgeries, let me know.  The body is amazing - both in and out - just as long as you can get over the initial "pop".

1 comment:

  1. Gave myself an injection today. I think that keeping the television loud helped :) Let's just hope that the medication helps! I do not want to be in the hospital at all.

    ReplyDelete