Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hospital Land Part I

So after 6 weeks of massive pain and insomnia that remained almost exclusively at a 9 or 10 and 2 trips to the ER as well as a day long clinic visit where I received pain meds via IV, I gave up last Friday and went to my doctor knowing that I would probably be admitted.  On top of this was the flu that Rob gave me and left me with diarrhea for 6 days which had dehydrated me so I was a mess.
Dr. B talked to me and gave me an examination and said, "Yep.  Time for inpatient."  At that point I met with the hospitalists and found out whose team I was on.  Thankfully, I had a great group of doctors covering me.  I was also placed on the pain management team which I have been on for 5+ years and know them all.  This happens around noon on Friday.  I was told that I would have a CT scan of my abdomen to make sure that the diarrhea and pain weren't a symptom of something other than the flu.  I assumed that it would happen that day.  At least that is what I had been told and I had not eaten or drank anything since Thursday so all would be fine.

As soon as I heard the word "fine" I should have gathered my clothing and started running.

The next person to come in was a great nurse who works for Dr. B and I love her.  She tried to get an IV going for fluids.  After 2 tries, she decided to call the IV team.  Let me point out that I am a hard stick.  I have horrible veins.  Even the red cross had to stick me multiple times for me to give blood.  At 18 I had horrible veins and that has not changed.  IV team came in (another nurse I knew) and tried twice as well.  She managed to get one but it was with a 24 gauge needle (TINY).  Somehow there was not good communication and a nurse ran a bag of saline open through this tiny needle.  The vein blew within an hour and my arm swelled.  During this time, they managed to find me a room as I had come in to the clinic not the hospital and I was transported there.  I asked about the CT scan and was told that it would happen today and not to worry.  It was being taken care of.

Again, as soon as I heard it was being taken care of, I should have gathered my clothing, my  ice bag for my swollen arm and got the hell out of there.

The lab came in to draw blood - remember we are at 4 blown veins now.  I tell them that.  They try twice and one of the tries was literally 2.5 minutes (I timed it) of digging in my arm.  Finally I politely say that I have had enough and to call IV team.  By this point, it is almost 5 p.m. on a Friday and I am beginning to wonder if I will ever get to CT.  It was ordered at 1.
IV team comes back in, tries once more and says, "Not gonna happen, you need a picc line." (I now have 7 blown access points)  However, everyone who can do a picc line has gone home.  I can't have the CT scan without IV access as I need it with contrast.  I am not producing urine as I have NO fluids and I cannot eat or drink because - you guess it - I am going to have a CT scan asap.
Friday night is drawing to a close and not only do I not have IV access, I have not resolved my pain, insomnia or know the cause of my abdominal pain.  Thankfully, I did take imodium around 3 a.m. on Friday to control the diarrhea so at least I am not running to the bathroom.  However, I am emotionally spent and rather pissed off.
Saturday morning dawns and around 9:30 the IV picc team comes in and places the picc line.  I am excited as I can now get fluids and drugs (and let's be honest, I am hoping they are good ones as I have not slept for 3 nights now and the pain is at a 10).  I assume that I will be whisked away to CT and will then be able to eat as I am becoming a bit peckish.  Nope.  One o'clock comes and goes.  We have now hit the 24 hour mark on waiting for a CT.  Two and three and four o'clock pass me by.  Anger is beginning to boil over within me.  I am in pain, exhausted and nurses are frustrated that I haven't peed in almost 24 hours.  Well, it is hard to produce urine when YOU ARE NOT DRINKING AND JUST BEGAN RECEIVING IV FLUIDS!  Finally, at 4:30 I go to CT, get the scan done and find that there is nothing wrong.  I eat a tiny bit and drink a lot of water and go to bed on Saturday still in massive pain, without sleep and sick to my stomach.

4 comments:

  1. Sweet god in heaven you went through a lot....sending you soft hugs & spoons. I am glad that the experience got better after these first couple of days.
    -Fellow Spoonie Michelle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yowza! You gotta want it bad to put up with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle -

    Thanks for the support! I love seeing fellow spoonies. Hopefully the blog will make you laugh and also remind you that we are all in this together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, memories... brings back the hospital stay of February '07....

    ReplyDelete