Sunday, March 6, 2011

Amazing adaptive skills and some organizational tips

Nothing forces one to become a contortionist quite like being in constant pain.  It also demands organization.  There are numerous doctor appointments to get to, reiki, yoga, meditation, medication to take, insurance forms to fill out etc. etc.  So here are a list of my skills and organizational tips to help you get through a painful day.

1. It is much too painful at times to bend over so I have learned to pick things up with my feet.  A dropped spoon in the kitchen?  Grab the counter, hold on, pick up spoon with toes, raise as high as you can and grab the spoon with one hand - making sure to NOT let go of the counter with the other hand.  Wash the spoon off and continue.

2. I carry a bag around the house that has a phone, planner, kleenex, water bottle, hand lotion, ipod, kindle, sudoku and granola bar or snack.  I find that there are times when I am home alone and it is all I can do to go sit on the sofa in the family room.  We live in a split level and going up and down the stairs can quickly exhaust me or lead to falls on a bad day.  I have learned to plan ahead and keep things with me.  I find that I can survive with my bag until my family gets home and can help me get up the stairs or fetch me something I forgot.

3.  I stock the bathroom.  I love going to friends homes and seeing their bathrooms so neat and clean. You enter mine and you see magazines, a blanket and toilet paper.  Here is why: I am often nauseous and cold.  Thus, if I am stuck in the bathroom I have reading materials, a blanket to wrap around myself and t.p. for, well, you know.  Don't worry - I wash the blanket often!

4. I keep ALL of my medication in one bag.  This keeps me from having to wander the house wondering where I last took it.  Memory issues often accompany chronic pain (Mom - you are old, it isn't chronic pain).  I also don't have to worry about little fingers - though my kids are old enough now to understand I still recognize the potency of my medication and take the responsibility for it very seriously.

5.  When I feel good - I do something!  Sometimes that means we have to make last minute family changes but good days are not to be squandered or assumed so we do whatever we can to enjoy them.

6. I have a collapsable cane.  It costs a little bit more but it is worth it!  There are days when I start the day in pain and then feel better later and vice versa.  It isn't good to use a cane when you don't need one as it adds strain to your shoulder so to be able to fold it up and put it away when I don't need it is awesome!

7.  I make a LOT of lists.  Memory issues are a part of chiari as well as chronic pain.  I find that lists not only help me to remember and accomplish things but also help me to plan accordingly when I am out and about.  Also keep post it notes available.  I keep them beside my bed, in the kitchen and in my bag.

8.  On days you feel like making dinner, make a double batch.  It doesn't take that much more time and you can freeze it for the bad days.

9.  In dealing with insurance companies, always write down the person you spoke with and the time and date you spoke with them.  This has helped me more than once in dealing with billing issues.  I keep a log in a file just for my medical stuff.  The rest of the family shares a file - I am special.

10. Breathe.  When everything is becoming overwhelming, go into a room alone and spend 3 minutes focusing on breathing deeply in and out.  I promise that while it won't make the pain go away, stop the kids from arguing, get dinner made, or cause the dog to stop being a pain in the butt - it does help cope.  Breathing is underrated and an important tool.

5 comments:

  1. Good tips! Am needing all the help I can get today...day 7 of a fibro flareup. House is upside down, but I can't really do anything about it until this lets up so I'm not really to worried about it. Gotta get this under control first. Thanks!

    lilmuna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,

    Thanks for reading! Glad you found the tips helpful or at least funny :)

    Hang in there and know I am thinking of you. Be good to yourself!

    Zip

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, it helps me to see how you manage to do all that you do! I imagine this is a very helpful post to others with chronic pain. I wish I were so organized--I try to be, but the disorganized people I live with thwart me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,

    I think it would be easier to be organized if I lived alone. The thwarters make all this a tad more difficult :) (although they make my days a bit more tolerable so I guess it is a trade-off)

    Zip

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you heard of "The Fly Lady...?" Perhaps your good ideas are worth a career! Somehow, some people get rich off of their tips and tidbits. Just sayin' Thanks for sharing. -Sally

    ReplyDelete