Saturday, March 19, 2011

Guilt

For so many years I was in bed for 6 out of 7 days a week if not all 7.  I did the best I could as a parent: I helped with homework, made sure the kids were bathed, had great discussions with them, read to them, fed them, loved them and tried to be the best parent I could.  Often this was from bed.  My bed became like the kitchen table in most homes - we had picnics on it, did homework, played sorry or uno - all on my bed.

I didn't want to be there.  I wanted to be running around and chasing my kids, playing with them but I was in so much pain that I couldn't.  I spent many years with my daily pain at an 8, 9 or 10.  In September 2009 I had a neurostimulator implanted and it dropped my pain to a 7 which I thought was awesome.  I started volunteering and getting out more.  I was elated to be able to go grocery shopping.  But, I was still at a 7 and spent 3 or 4 days a week in bed.  Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on how much I was pushing my body.

Now, we have found medication that has dropped my pain to a 6 and sometimes a 5.  I feel like I should be going 24/7.  I have guilt.  I have so much to make up for.  I am volunteering for everything I possibly can.  I am starting the chronic pain support group.  I am volunteering for hospice.  I have plans for the future.  I am constantly cleaning the house and trying to run the kids around instead of making Tim or Aunt Terry help out.  I feel that I have no excuse for not being superwoman and conquering the world.  Pain at a 6 isn't that bad...

Except it kind of is.  I can't fall asleep during the last week.  It is taking anywhere from an hour to 3 or more to fall asleep as the pain is at an 8/9/10 when I finally stop moving and pushing and allow my body to relax.  Part of me feels that this is a small price to pay to make up for lost time.  The other part of me is exhausted.  I cannot seem to find a balance but I feel guilty for not doing more.  If I existed and volunteered when pain was a 7/8 then I have NO excuse for not doing twice as much when pain is at a 6/7 or sometimes a 5!

Chronic pain and how we cope is complex and I don't pretend to have all the answers.  I admit that right now I am stumped.  I don't know how to balance my life and the desires to contribute to society - not to mention the sheer joy at being able to do so - with the needs of my body and accepting that I still need a few days a week of down time for my body to just exist.  I feel great amounts of guilt.  I feel a duty to show my children how to overcome a difficulty or pain and keep going.  I want them to see me trying harder everyday and never giving up.

I just keep thinking of all I missed out on and I don't want to miss out now.  Besides, I have plans for my future and I cannot adequately convey what it is like to finally have a future.  We had come to accept not being able to do things and now that I can, I can't stop.

3 comments:

  1. Forget about guilt, you didn't choose to be sick, just be a nice good mum for your kids, you could be amazed...They have more in their heart that you could imagine, mine saved my life but I just lived my life with the illness and didn't try to prove anything,just live what you can and cherish those moments, cherish your children, your life and don't think too much...It will make you sicker and sicker...lots of Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugs
    Bérengère

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there. Baby steps are still forward motion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poultrygeist99-

    Intellectually I know that but I feel like I have so much to do to make up for lost time. Really have to find the balance before I lose my mind and my forward momentum. Don't want to end up going backwards. I think that lots of meditation is called for this week!

    As always - thank you for your unceasing support.

    ~Zip

    ReplyDelete