Thursday, March 10, 2011

It's my birthday

For 36 years and 364 days I dreaded my birthday.  I hated it.  But this year, that changed.

See, my biological mother left when I was 18 months old.  My biological father was physically, emotionally, and sexually abusive.  Foster parents were unkind and uninterested in me - I was but a monthly paycheck.  Every year, I would wonder what the point of celebrating a day was when the people who brought me into this world didn't want me and their abuse left me with the physical issues that I have now.

My Mom who adopted me at 18 (we are so alike it is scary) told me year after year that it was a day to celebrate what joy I brought to others.  To celebrate the life I was living despite obstacles.  It was a day that she treasured because without that day, I would not be here and she would not have me.

I fought against her reasoning for years.  I never saw anything special in what I had to offer.  I know lots of kind, funny, loving people and I never saw what made me special.  Especially once I was diagnosed with chiari, I had even more difficulty finding a point to my life.  There were so many things I could not do - I couldn't be the Mom, friend, and wife that I thought I should be.  I dreaded this day every year until now.

As I have examined my chronic pain, my life, my relationships and made evaluations of those things over the last 8 years, I have come to appreciate the wonder that I am.  No, I don't believe that I am some sort of super woman who should be worshipped (well, maybe once in awhile) but I have come to see the amazingly resilient person I am.  I fought against all the odds - went to college, never had a drug or alcohol problem, had children and stopped the cycle of abuse, have been married for 16 and 1/2 years.  I might not receive paychecks or have a great job title but what I do for others, the love I offer to others, and the loyalty I give to my friends and family has worth.  My life and what I have to offer others is enriched because of the obstacles I have overcome.  What I offer to others is my unique perspective.  It is snarky, funny, loving, kind, loyal, dependable, joyful, and honest.

So, on this, my birthday, I celebrate my life.  I celebrate the amazing people who make my life worth living and who fill my days with wonder, joy, and love.

6 comments:

  1. I need to clarify: My birthday is March 11th. I meant that today is the last day of feeling unworthy and that tomorrow turns over a new leaf and a new chapter in my life that I look forward to celebrating.

    Sorry for any confusion. I will get it right next year :)

    ~Zip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomorrow I will celebrate your life just as I have for the past 20 years. But how much more special it will be knowing that you are now able to celebrate it as well! To know where you've been and to see where you are today brings me nothing but joy. My card will be absent from your mailbox tomorrow, but you will never be absent from my heart. So Happy Birthday to you! I love you, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to you "Zip" hope it is as good as it can be. You deserve one great, pain free day. And you are right... you have a lot to offer people. :)
    <3 Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Tam! I'm so glad you are celebrating you... Have a wonderful day! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post makes me sad for your past, but so so happy for your future. I, for one, am extremely glad to know you and have you in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all. I had a great day and am so thankful you were all a part of it!

    Zip

    ReplyDelete